Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Things I learned from Eliot

It was certainly a pleasant surprise to hear from Eliot in the last class period. To be honest, I didn't know exactly what to think of him at first: between his pedantic attire and him "giving us permission" to be creative, I really wasn't expecting much from him. Fortunately, things changed as he began to talk more and settle more into himself. I learned some valuable things from his story at PayPal: first, that I must think outside of our limits to overcome obstacles, and second, to plan ahead when I code. When Eliot described the shame the team had about having so many dependencies on the front-end to the back-end I knew exactly what he was talking about. In the story, there is a valuable lesson all programmers can learn: that we must aim to create versatile code to avoid having to rewrite large and critical sections of code. This in turn takes careful planning to avoid creating dependencies. I liked how both ideas link to each other when creativity was an essential part to finding a solution to the problem.

4 comments:

  1. I appreciated what he had to say as well. I liked how one of the principles he learned was that it's all about the people. He talked about Mitt Romney teaching him several things that he hasn't forgotten throughout his life. And the paper-rock-scissors game was surprisingly fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked when he said that he didn't really need to "give us permission" to be creative, but he did it because sometimes we forget that being creative is something that we always have permission to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, his Pay-pal story was very useful. An important skill is to be able to work with poorly-written code (that you didn't write), and it would make an employee very valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice stories, but there's nothing quite like hearing someone talk about himself and his achievements for over an hour.

    ReplyDelete