Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Revolution OS

The Linux Operating System, or should I say the GNU/Linux Operating System, is truly a revolutionary OS. Nevertheless, as discussed in class, Linux has some problems when it comes to support in the business world. It might be argued that today there are companies that specialize in providing support for Linux, such as Red Hat Linux (which also develops its own Enterprise Red Hat Linux distribution), but such support comes at a price. So, really, it is matter of choosing who you want to pay: Red Hat or Microsoft. Apart from this, I strongly believe Linux has many great merits. If I was completely broke and couldn't afford to buy an operating system, I would definitely use Linux and it would satisfy all of my needs and satisfy some of my wants. Free Software, or Open Source software, definitely has a place in computing, but I feel that as businesses become larger and more complex, Linux might not be the best choice if the people that are in charge are not fully familiarized with the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment